Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Time Wrinkles


A Wrinkle In Time... Madeleine L’Engle, Writer of Children’s Classics, Is Dead at 88
Originally uploaded by giamarie



Another brilliant Smithe, Madeleine L'Engle '41, passed away a few days ago. I still remember when I read her most popular book, "A Wrinkle in Time" - I was staying overnight at my Grammy's house with Little Brother. This book blew my mind. I'm sure Little Brother was begging for me to play with him or distract but I was totally taken up with this story. Although I only read this book once, I can still remember amazing details about it in a way that I can't recall from other favorite childhood books.

According to Ms. L'Engle's obituary in the NY Times, "A Wrinkle in Time" was "rejected by 26 publishers before editors at Farrar, Straus & Giroux read it and enthusiastically accepted it." Today it has sold 8 million copies. I think it is time that I read it again.

No comments: