Friday, June 16, 2006

The Will to Carry On

So, tonight is the Burgers and Cupcakes party. Ever since lunch I've been sitting at my desk totally exhausted. Should I go? Should I blow it off? Then I saw this post at the Daily Dump and I remembered that I too like to go to parties and be introducted to people who say, "Oh, hey, I read your blog." Now, do I think that anyone at the Burgers and Cupcakes party reads my blog? No. But I can walk up to someone and say, "hey, I read your blog," (inasmuch as anyone reads Cupcakes Take the Cake, it's more like you look at the photos on the blog and lust for cake).

I can do this. I can take a nap under my desk. I can go pick up LaHipster and then we can go eat some goddamn burgers and cupcakes.

Dan's post also reminded me of a story from Denver. You may recall that I went to Denver to visit Drew Belstock my only friend who deliberately, belligerently refuses to read my blog. One day we were in a UPS store in a Denver suburb. I don't remember why, but we spent some significant time visiting Kinko's-type stores during my visit. I think it's all party of the authentic Colorado experience. John Denver has a line about Mailboxes, etc... in "Rocky Mountain High". It's true. So, the woman behind the coutner at the UPS Store said to me, "You look really familiar." I shrugged. "Do I know you?" she asked.

"I don't think so," I said. "I'm from Brooklyn."

"Brooklyn in New York?"

"Yep."

"It's just ... you look so familiar. I can't think of where I've seen you before."

"Well," I said, mostly to piss off Drew Belstock, "I do have a blog..." The woman just stared at me. Drew gave me a disguisted look. "Weblogs? No? You don't read blogs? Too bad. I'm very famous in New York City."

"Oh, I remember now. You look like Meghan's friend." The woman called to her daughter, "Say, doesn't she look just like Meghan's friend? What was that girl's name?"

"Yep," I said. "I'm a big star. Online."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.