Saturday, June 17, 2006

Attention Amtrak Passengers

this is an audio post - click to play
The sound quality on this post is pretty poor, because I was literally sitting under a loud speaker at Penn Station. If you can't understand what I'm saying, here's the take-home summary: Amtrak, despite being entrusted with only two tasks, ie. maintaining the rails and equipment and running train service somewhat close to the schedule, fails desperately at every attempt. And yet, I return because I am a glutton for punishment. Please, someone help me break the cycle. My rerouted train did not arrive until 1:00pm so I was three hours late getting to Kingston.

I know it is cliche, but there is something to be said for a fascist government running the trains on time. If my Germans had been in Penn Station and were presented with a three hour delay in train service, I can only guess they would have thrown a QuikTrak machine through a window and set fire to the Tiecoon shop. Looking back, I'm just happy the brakes didn't fail and the power didn't go out. Amtrak, please, I'm begging you. Get it together. You know I'm powerless to stay away.

No comments: