Friday, March 10, 2006

Major Upset in the Cupcake Wars

New York Magazine put out their "Best of New York" issue this week and there was a small section devoted entirely to cake. In the highly anticipated (by me) Best Cupcake category, the award went to newcomer Babycakes. Most surprising of all, Babycakes is a vegan bakery. Christ, it's vegan and then some. No eggs, no dairy, no wheat, no nuts and so on. This begs the question, just what the hell is in these award-winning cupcakes? Despite my knee-jerk disdain for all things vegan, (apologies to Isa at the Post Punk Kitchen) I am definately going to need to try one of these cupcakes. Afterall, I am a person who believes that the whole reason that cows and chickens were put on this earth was to produce eggs, butter and milk for baking.

Babycakes has been getting a lot of press lately. See reviews here on gridskipper, here on The Girl Who Ate Everything, and in New York Magazine's "Change Your Life" Guide from a couple of weeks ago.

Frosting shots for a buck? Who's up for a field trip?

2 comments:

Robyn said...

I went back for MORE...

Carrot cupcake = SO GOOD! So moist and soft and carroty! I'm not sure how much I like the frosting yet, but the cake? MMMMMMMMMM. My friend got a frosting shot and he said it was good too. :)

Cupcake said...

Thanks for the photos! Even I don't know if I could do a frosting shot. The cookies are made out of fava bean flour? Oh man. Okay, I'll try to keep an open mind. Was there a long line when you were there? I hear the line out the door rivals Magnolia in its hey day.