Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Announcing The Cuppies

Okay, it's time to start announcing the winners of The Cuppies, some totally fake awards I created to sum up Cupcake's 2005. We'll start with the part that did not involve the Reader's Choice.

Best decision I made this year: Moving into my own studio apartment in Prospect Heights

Best Live Music Performance: Rufus Wainwright and Ben Folds in Prospect Park. Although Ben and Rufus did not fulfill my ultimate fantasy by making out with each other (that's right boys, you enjoy that hot girl on girl action; you're not the only ones who can dream.), it was still a pretty great concernt. Runner up in this category would have to be Jill Scott at Radio City Music Hall.



Must Live Performance, Non-Music: I can't remember if I saw Ira Glass at Town Hall this year or in 2004. So I'm going to go with a great choice I know happened in '05, watching Sarah Vowell read from Assassination Vacation at the New York Public Library.

Best Play: The Manuscript directed by Bob Ballaban at the Daryl Roth Theater.


Best Musical: A tie between Thrill Me: The Loeb and Leopold Story and Once Around the Sun. One is a two-man musical about homo-erotic thrill kills and the other is the best rock musical I've seen in RENT's wake.


Best Album Purchase this year: Ben Folds, Songs for Silverman

Most Regretted CD Purchase: Steven Page, Vanity Project

Best Movie I saw in the theater: in a year of great movies, most of my faves were independents such as Junebug and Thumbsucker, the greatest overall was David LaChapelle's Rize for its gorgeous cinematography, compelling characters and unique subject.

Worst Movie I saw in the theater: Jim Jarmusch's Broken Flowers.

Best Movie I finally got around to renting: David O. Russell's Flirting With Disaster. Yeah, I saw some great shit this year courtesy of Netflix, but I just loved this flick.

Worst Movie I finally got around to renting: Closer. Total downer about despicable characters with no redeeming qualities. Sorry Mike Nichols.

Best Find on Netflix: Dead Like Me, the show about flawed but likeable grim reapers that aired on Showtime for two seasons and starred Mandy Patinkin. I don't know why you don't like it.

No comments: