Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Don't Hold Your Holiday Breath

This fall I entered into an exchage with Kari from The Cupcake Show. I knit her some socks and she is going to sew me some mittens. This is very exciting for us. Anyway, I completed the socks and mailed them to Kari. She posted a photo of them on her blog here. I look forward to the mittens, but in the meantime, that photo of you in the silly hat is rewarding enough.

Reading Kari's post about sending out her holiday cards reminds me of something: I am not sending out holiday cards this year. Yes, I have sent out cards in the past, in fact, I have been sending out Holiday Cards since I was 16 as far as I can recall, which were known as Christmas Cards back in the day. Over the years, I have averaged about 50 cards a year, and if I let myself this year, the list could get much, much longer. Well, I just can't do it this year. I've already taken on quite a bit with many knitting and holiday baking projects and, as I'm sure you've noticed, I'm not the sanest gingerbread gal in the house to begin with.

So, I will take the money I would have spent on cards and postage and put that money towards purchasing a toy for a toy drive. And I will take the sanity I will save and bank it for a future meltdown (ETA: sometime in January). So, when you don't get a card from me this year, you'll know why. I still appreciate your love and friendship. Who knows, maybe the next time I see you, I'll buy you a cup of coffee. Rest assured, you haven't been downsized from the list due to bad behavior or anything, except for the following people:


Just kidding.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I will miss my card, I'm happy to know you're focusing your energy (and your funds) in such a positive way. I think in this instance, a financially needy child can, without reservation, upstage your emotionally needy friends (myself included).

Cupcake said...

SuperSkater, the real tragedy is that you give such good card, it seems a shame not to reciprocate, but since I'd never be able to top your card fabulosity, I'm not even going to try.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a toy drive to make a donation to, my office building is a drop off location for Toys for Tots. I'd be happy to bring the toy in for you and there's a 90% chance it might actually find its way to the donation box.

Unknown said...

Sometimes you have to back off from the holiday frenzy. I didn't send cards last year. I am, however, this year and looking forward to everyone receiving them. (You included, Cupcake. I saved your address from the time you sent me the great scarf which I wear often!)