Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Public Service Announcement

This is a public service announcement from your friendly, local government major (some of you crazy kids out there may call it "poly sci". Oh you rapscalions, you!) .

Let me tell you what it means to be a government major: it means that I never want to hear people talk about politics again. It means that when I do hear people casually chatting about politics, I want to punch them in the head. It means that I have so lost my appetite for our political system, that I gave up a promising career in that field to be a secretary and make coffee for a bunch of white men with MBAs who call me into their office evertime they need to make a conference call because they get nervous about "pressing all those buttons". But, BUT, BUT I do still believe in my little sugar encrusted heart that one of the most important things you can do is vote.

So, if you live in New York City, don't forget to vote today. Even though the election looks like a forgone conclusion. Remember, when a race looks really lopsided, like the current mayoral race, lots of people stay home and low voter turnout can make anything happen. Also, there are a number of other races being contested today and important bond issues. If you don't know who to vote for in a particular race, you don't have to vote. Or, choose the person with the prettiest name. Or, if you see a little kid hanging around the auditorium, invite them into the booth with you and let them go nuts on the levers. It will make their day. Anything. I don't care. But low voter turnout makes Cupcake very, very angry.

If you live in a place that is not New York City and there is an election, you should vote in that too.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

for awhile i thought that you were machiavelli's heir...