Wednesday, September 28, 2005

daveb gets mugged. again.

Neighbor and DailyHeights all star daveb reports on his blog that while he was attempting to get the train at the Eastern Parkway 2/3 station yesterday morning at 10 AM, five young guys tried to mug him in the empty station. 10 AM on a Tuesday morning. Shortly after I moved into Prospect Heights, daveb was mugged and beaten quite baddly while walking home one night. Hearing about this experience made me say, hmm, perhaps I shouldn't be in such a hurry to unpack after all and I also vowed not to be out alone late at night in my neighborhood. I kept that resolution for about two weeks.

Don't get me wrong. I really wish people would stop trying to mug daveb. But, each time he serves as the lightening rod for crime in our little corner of the city, it is a reminder to me: just because you're loving your new 'nabe, just because your neighbors are awesome, just because these people are buying your cupcakes, remember: this is still the hood. Not everyone wants to play nice. Be prepared to act/react accordingly.

Update: And to prove my point, there is a manhunt going on in my neighborhood right now! Unfortunately, I am safely tucked away in Midtown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cupcake, I just realized that daveb is one of my friends from my old internship. He lives with his girlfriend, who also worked at the same company as me. I haven't seen either of them in a while, and had no idea he was mugged before. I feel terrible. Small world... but what a way to find out news like that....