Monday, March 14, 2005

The nicest thing that has ever happened to me on an elevator.

Oh quit blushing. I'm not Steven Tyler, for Christ's sake. I was returning from my lunch hour and I got into an elevator with another woman. "Wow," she said. "You have red hair and a red coat. I'm envious of both." I think I actually looked around the elevator just to make sure she was talking to me. I was totally taken aback by this random compliment. "Oh. Thank you," I said.
"Most people have black hair and black coats." I noticed that the woman had dark hair and was wearing a black coat.
"I just wanted something different." I was still totally bewildered by the fact that a total stranger had just said something nice to me. This is New York City after all. (Just yesterday a guy came running out of his store and began banging on the hood and roof of the car I was riding in, accusing us of stealing his friend's parking space. Kinda scary). I watched the floor numbers. I was feeling a little awkward. I told her to have a nice day, I hope she knows that I really meant it.

No comments: