Thursday, April 03, 2008

I swear, I've never ordered a Yankee Candle online.

Now that I will be losing my work email account and my Blackberry, I'm going to have to rely on my personal email account, something I have been dreading because every time I log in, my inbox is choked with special offer emails from retailers I presumably had a relationship with at some point. I know I can unsubscribe by clicking the link hidden at the bottom of the email in six point font, but the idea of totally unsubscribing just seemed so daunting. Until tonight. I have cut the ties and it feels good. Sure, I might miss out on a Clinque free gift, but I probably shouldn't be spending $25 to get the free gift anyway. So goodbye Sephora. Goodbye Travelocity and Yankee Candle. Goodbye Overstock.com, Pottery Barn and Fresh Direct. Goodbye NY Times Select, Plaxo, Lands End and Providence Performing Arts Center. For God's sake, I haven't lived in Rhode Island in years. Dell Computers? I paid off my loan to you years ago, and despite what you seem to believe, I never owned a small business. J. Crew - all the clothes I bought from you never fit. Friendster alerts? Friendster, you seem like a youthful indiscretion now. Amtrak Guest Rewards, despite the fact you sold my credit card to some mega "World Points" conglomerate, you can stay, at least until I use up all my existing Guest Rewards Points. Besides, I don't take the train anymore, I Zip Car. Zip Car, you can stay along with Netflix and Media Bistro, although I really wish MB would not send me every email twice. Smith Alumnae Association, I'm staying signed up, for now, but you're on thin ice.

There, that's better. Now does anyone know how I can get off these catalog direct mailing lists? I almost broke my neck when I slipped on an L.L. Bean Traveler magazine in my vestibule tonight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey cupcake.

a) thanks for the motivation to head back to RI.. or at least Boston Market. Sometimes I need a B&S+mac&cheese fix all at once.

b) Use catalogchoice.org to get off mailing lists. I'm no longer plagued by "Noble and Smith Window Coverings" bi-monthly, and I have them to thank. True, my neighbors can also see in my windows as I have no place to buy shades now, but that's the price you pay for going green.

later,
Sarah Hudsaruso

Beta said...

Whoa, did I miss something? Losing your work email account and blackberry? Are you getting published and quitting your day job?

Cupcake said...

Thanks, Sarah. I am surprised that anyone is still reading this blog, but I am especially surprised that you are still reading it.