Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Do a solid for Booger.

A granola bar saved my life tonight. I'm just putting that out there.

The other day I was standing in Duane Reade picking up a prescription. As I was paying, the unusually chipper girl behind the counter asked the woman standing in line behind me, "Are you picking up a prescription? Name please."

"Well," said the woman. "It's for a pet. The name is Goose. Goose MacMillian."

"Oh, that's cool," said the counter girl, by far the stand-out congenial employee of Duane Reade on Flatbush Avenue. I was wondering, can you pick up medication for pets here? I thought that was a Vet thing.

"The medication is for my cat," said the woman behind me. "We're going on a trip and she needs to be sedated." I totally lost interest. Of course Cupcake believes that all cats ought to be sedated right off this mortal coil.

"That's cool," said the counter girl again. "I have a bunny at home and his name is Booger." Okay! Now we're getting somewhere. I began nodding my head encouragingly to say to the girl, if there's more to the story, then let's have it. "See, he's kind of this light brown color, and when I first brought her home, I called her Dusty. But then we found out she was a boy. And my boyfriend said, we couldn't be calling no dude rabbit Dusty. It had to have a tough name, you know? So I just called him Booger." Bravo! All I could do was stand there and nod in admiration. Dude bunny. Booger. It just makes sense.

On an unrelated note (though if you can find a relationship, I'd love to hear it) I think we can all agree the phrase "do me a solid" officially jumped the shark. I suspected as much when Ryan Gosling used the phrase in Half Nelson, something like, "Come on bro, do me a solid," and amidst all the crack use and child endangerment I had to giggle, "Ryan Gosling just said 'do me a solid'". Well, today as I was listening to the WNYC pledge drive, I heard radio talk show host Brian Lehrer implore listeners to "do a solid for WNYC", thereby dragging the phrase down to new levels of white boy lameness. You are now free to use this phrase with ironic impunity.

3 comments:

Lord of the Barnyard said...

do me a solid? i've never heard his before in my life. how would one use it?

word verification: ouooh.
said in the style of a 12 year old girl discussing something romantic with sarcasm

jesse said...

I invented a new phrase so I wouldn't be like everyone else- do me a proper. Pretty good, right? who's with me?

Cupcake said...

Really, so "do me a solid" never made it to whatever rural patch you have laid down your pitchfork, Farmer Drew?

"Do me a propper" has serious legs.