Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Not a Genuine Hipster.


Tonight I am going to see Brian Copeland's Not a Genuine Black Man at the DR2 Theater. I'm very excited. Can anyone recomend a good bar in the Union Square area? I bet you can. Put your thinking cap on.


On Friday, we went to see Dirty Rotten Soundrels on Broadway. The show was sophomoric but entertaining. I am automatically mistrustful of any production that relys so heavily on their revolving sets. Look at our sets! They spin around! Aren't we clever? Also, the Broadway merchandising machine rather boggles the mind. I can understand that perhaps you might want to purchase the orginal cast recording if you enjoyed the score, but buttons and baseball caps and babydoll tees really stump me. Look at me! I saw a play on Broadway! And I enjoyed it so much, I decided to purchase this souvenir t-shirt for $35.00! I'll be the only kid in the Bublewood High School Drama Club with one of these babies! If you have relatives in from, let's say, the Midwest, good folk who enjoy a bawdy joke, feel free to bring them to this show. They'll love it. If, however, your intelligentsia parents come down from New Haven for the weekend, skip it.

Whereas this t-shirt is awesome. I want one. I'll be the only one in "What disposable income?"-hipster-centric South Brooklyn that has one (for about five minutes).

God, I'm such a bitch.

10 comments:

shelleycoughlin said...

Seriously. Enough with the hipsters. Although, they are preferable to the high school theater tramps.

Meg said...

Ugh. Both groups are bad. I always enjoy a brew at the Heartland when i can't find anything else in the union.. otherwise one N/R stop away there's a great bar on Prince & Mercer... I forget what its called but its on the southwest corner (oh, what the drunk girl remembers...)

I'm on a comment frenzy today!

Cupcake said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cupcake said...

Um, are you calling me a high school theater tramp? I mean, I'm not denying it, but there is such a thing as etiquette.

Meg said...

Not sure if you're talking to me or to the other person, but since I have not one but two items in my bedroom signed by Anthony Rapp (RENT) and listen to at least one RENT song a day, I don't think I can make fun of you being a h.s. theatre tramp. If I did, I'd just be a hypocritical wannabe.

Anonymous said...

The Flatiron Lounge on 19th between 5th and 6th is a great bar. Art deco fixtures and amazing cocktails. The mixologists are really something to watch-- it's not like Tom Cruise in Cocktail-- there will not be bottles flying through the air-- but what they do is skilled work, and they are good at what they do. I recommend the Persephone (pomegranate martini) or a French 75 (ask the bartender to add some muddled strawberries).

Cupcake said...

SuperSkater, thanks for the recomendation. We'll totally check that place out, that is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I was starving by the time we got out of the theater, so we headed over to Cosi to get some food and overpriced wine, but not s'mores. We're saving that adventure for another day.

Theater tickets: $18
Dinner: $30
Exposing a German to performance-art based Civil Rights history and Black American culture: priceless

Anonymous said...

You don't need to tell God you're a bitch. He's omnipotent, silly!

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed Dirty Rotton Scoundrels - Norbert Leo Butz was amazing. Music was fine but nothing spectacular - sophmoric was a very good word though.

Cupcake said...

Sorry, the sentence should have read, "God knows I'm a bitch."

Norbert Leo Butz was very good but I found myself wondering if he was on drugs. I think you'd have to be to put out that much energy, 9 performances a week.