Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Germans take Carnival very seriously. They celebrate over several days, and depending on which part of the country you live in, you may get a day off work on Monday for Rosenmontag. Der Man wrote to me and asked if we celebrate Carnival in New York and if I would be going to the parade in "disguise" (costume). Oh, my little Wuerstchen. Only if by "parade" you mean "the spectacle that is the Q Train" and by "disguise" you mean "downtroden bougeoisie garb".

I have never had the pleasure of celebrating Karneval in Deutschland, but I have lived through Fasching and Ball Season in Vienna. This nice person has some great photos of Carnival on her blog- note the Krampus like creatures and her description of beasts terrorizing the crowd. Other than that, looks like a good time to me.

My German tutor told me that today was Wieberfastnacht, a day when women cut off men's neckties with scisors and just generally terrorize men, but G4 said that was actually last Thursday, which just goes to show these Deutschies are making it up as they go along.

Tomorrow, G5 arrives. Unlike previous Germans of the Month who were in their early 30's (and baby G4 only 29!) this guy is a divorced 51-year old who likes to ride motorcylces and do karate. Where do they find these Germans and why do they keep sending them to me? It boggles the mind.

No comments: