Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I Do It All For You


A while ago, Mondo emailed me and said she saw an ad for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups with carmel, and she would defer to my opinion on whether or not these were worth trying. I hadn't even heard of such a thing (if NPR hasn't reported it, it's not on my radar). However, in the interest of good journalism and loyal devotion to my reader, I mean, readers, I decided I would give the new PB Cup a try and report back.

Unfortunately, I haven't found one of the Carmel cups at the store, but I did recently pick up a Reese's Double Chocolate PB Cup an the Kit Kat Milkshake edition and I completed taste trials today. How can I say this? Neither of these two things taste like what they are advertised as. The PB Cups don't taste like fudge and the Kit Kat doesn't taste like Milkshake. There is a noticeable difference between these variations and the classic candy. I would say that both taste good in that fake chemical way that mass market American chocolate tastes good. Of note: the PB Cup is still a peanut butter cup, it's just a chocolate flavored peanut butter cup, if that makes any sense. I think perhaps Kit Kat was trying to achieve a malted flavor? The whole thing was very strange. I wouldn't go out of my way to try these two, but my search for the Carmel PB Cup will continue.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

cupcake you're fabulous. thanks :)

Clementine said...

Love this post. LOVE it. Have you tried the double chocolate KitKat? If you, what are your thoughts?

Clementine said...

Um, yeah. If you HAVE, what are your thoughts?

Cupcake said...

I have not tried the double chocolate Kit Kat, but I will keep my eyes open for that one too. Basically, I will purcahse any special edition candy bar in the name of "journalism".

You know what kicked ass, by the way, was the Reese's Inside Out Peanut Butter Cup.

Clementine said...

Wasn't the ratio of peanut butter to chocolate all screwed up? I really love the classic PB Cup (or, as we say down South, Reesey Cup), so I was afraid to try the Inside Out.

Anonymous said...

Can I just say Reese's Peanut Butter Cups taste really really naff. Like the Peanut Butter has been kicking about in the back of the refridgerator or something.
Maybe it is the long-distance export though? *shrugs*

BUT you guys do get an awful lot of variety with your chocolate bars!