Friday, February 03, 2006

Because this is New York City, that's why.


A couple weeks ago, I saw this movie poster in the 51st Street Subway station while I was waiting for the 6 Train. Someone had drawn a speech buble coming from Mathew McConaughy's mouth with the words "My God, She's Ugly." My initial reaction was to laugh. I mean, I like Sarah Jessica Parker and I don't think she's ugly, but this was kinda funny. The poster stayed like that for a while.

A couple of days ago I saw the poster again, but the thought bubble was gone! Instead, it looked like a new, identical poster had been plastered over the old one. "Wow," I thought. "I don't know who Parker' s publicist is, but he or she is on the ball!" Then I noticed that under Sarah Jessica's name, some one had added one word "Sucks!". It was the same style as the original vandalism.

I don't know who you pissed off, Carrie Bradshaw, but there's someone out there with a Sharpie and a grudge.

Actually, come to think of it, I'd think the culprit was my father if I thought there was any chance in hell that he was hanging around the 51st Street Station. Everytime we see Sarah Jessica Parker on TV he yells, "She's a pig! She broke Aidan's heart! He loved her!". Then I have to have the "reality versus fiction" talk with him.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing Nance. I know so many men who feel very strongly that Sarah Jessica Parker is remarkably unattractive. These people include both my boyfriend and my grandfather, who once strongly insisted that she was homely and bow-legged. I for one think she is one of the few celebrity actresses who looks both sexy and real. Perhaps I should inquire how often Mark and Grandpa frequent 51st street.

By the way, I'm eager to talk with you about how your birthday party went. And I have a present for you.

J said...

I don't really like her either. It's very weird and petty of me, but she's not "attractive" as it were, yet she is cast in roles of attractive women and we are told she's really hot. when in fact, not so much and I resent that. really weird, I know.
also,carrie was kinda a jerk.

jesse said...

NY Press called her one of the "50 Most Loathsome New Yorkers" last year. This is their write-up:
Sarah Jessica Parker
Actress

WHEN GIRLS THINK another girl is beautiful, but guys know she isn't, call it the Sarah Jessica Parker syndrome. Parker is a dual monument to millennial American female vanity and inanity. Spoiled and groomed to the point of psychosis, Sarah Jessica Parker is the final dead-end in the American feminine odyssey. She dresses like a drag queen, a slave and sometimes a clown. Her hair is bleached and processed literally to the breaking point: A hairdresser revealed that all of Parker's hair once broke off beneath her ears. The actress speaks like an 11-year-old girl and has less to say; lacking utterly in charm, she compensates with screamy clothes and pointy shoes. Now that she is at long last gone, we're hoping new icons will spring up to replace her, and we're hoping they'll be wearing no-name jeans, going light on the eyeliner and reading a newspaper every once in a while.

Cupcake said...

Good Lord, I had no idea SJP was such a lightening rod. I think she's likeable.

MuppetLover, I have a present for you too: it's called party leftovers. Please help. I can't eat any more cupcakes. I'll be in touch.

J said...

"WHEN GIRLS THINK another girl is beautiful, but guys know she isn't"

yeah, that about sums it up.