Thursday, May 26, 2005

Which reminds me...

It has been a very long time since I had a cupcake. I can't even remember the last cupcake I ate! Don't get me wrong, I haven't gone all healthy, but it's been a while since I had to feed a major cupcake craving. Then I saw Chockylit's Horchata Cupcake and her Thai Iced Tea Cupcake. Sigh. I know where I'll be stopping on my lunch break.

You know, I had a great time at home with my Dad in RI last weekend, despite the fact that instigate the personal finances talk AND the "I'm worried about your weight" talk. Although the former is getting kind of stale (perhaps I shouldn't have laughed so uproariously when he said 'What do you care what the Interest Rate is on your credit card? You pay the balance every month, right?'), the latter talk is surprisingly un-annoying coming from my father because his motives are so sweet and sincere. This is unlike my mother's underlying message from adolescence: if you don't lose weight, boys won't like you, which only prompted me to stuff my face more to show her. [Woops, sorry. Bit of an overshare there. Don't worry, I'll leave my co-pay on the desk on my way out.]

Anyway, as I emerged from my room Sunday morning, dressed for my brother's Commencement, my Dad said, "You look nice." Uh-oh. Then, "I worry about your weight. You know I love you, I don't care what you look like, but I worry about your health. You know we have heart disease and cancer in the family. And Sugar. Do we have The Sugar? It's just that the branches of our family tree don't grow very long, you know what I'm saying?". Ah, no trip to Rhode Island is complete without contemplating my own mortality. He said, "Your problem is that you live in a city with such great food there's temptation on every corner." And I said, "Let's face it Dad, I could find those foods wherever I am. I have Cupcake Radar." He thought about it. "Yeah. You're right." In fact, I think I smell a stiff buttercream northeasterly wind coming in now.

Well, it looks like our time is up.

No comments: